Friday, December 14, 2007

Let It Snow, Etc.

Consuming season is in full effect here in the New York area. The Patriot and his money took advantage of the overhyped ice storm and made a trip to the Satan Island Mall yesterday. Despite living on Staten Island for three years, I never did any Christmas shopping here before this year. It was easier to drift out of my office building down by the Seaport and get whatever I needed without leaving Manhattan, often without leaving a ten block radius of where I worked. Working in the Meadowlands offers few shopping options other than the Walmart at exit 15W and the outlet mall at 13A. I was in no mood yesterday to do battle with half the suburban rabble in the Garden State so I headed back to the Island thinking, correctly as it turned out, that most folks were sitting home glued to their televisions thinking that they were in the middle of bad storm when in reality the weather was pretty benign. I think it borders on the criminal the way weathermen scream disaster any time there is the potential for a little of the white stuff, but yesterday the masses collective ignorance worked to my advantage. I was in and out of the mall in an hour, fists full of gift cards and tinsel.

I must confess, getting into the holiday spirit is difficult for me even in a normal year, and this year has been anything but normal. Becky was typically a whirlwind of activity around Christmas and while I have tried to recreate the frenetic holiday atmosphere, my heart just ain’t in it. Her absence is keenly felt. But, as they say, the show must go on. Jack is certainly aware that there is something different about this time of year, if only because he has had the opportunity to enjoy spending several hours of quality time yanking strings of lights off the Christmas tree, opening presents and wearing funny hats. He seems to understand that this season is about taking the time to relax and celebrate the things we have, remember the things we’ve lost, and not take ourselves too seriously. I know exactly how he feels.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcus, What a great post. I've been thinking about Beck a lot and she is sorely missed. The last couple of weeks I've been under tremendous stress -- for what? In the big scheme of things, does it matter? Everything always gets done. And, if it doesn't, who cares? You destressed this gal 2000 miles away. I hope to catch up with you next week.

Mark said...

Glad I could help. The real teaching comes from Jack, and Becky by extension. We'll be around next week. Are you heading to Asbury over New Years? Give a shout. Sorry I couldn't make it to Colorado, but I ended up taking the job ni Jersey so someone else from AIG will be making the trip instead. Stay out of the mega-churches, I hear they're downight dangerous out there.

Anonymous said...

Mark,

Glad to hear your working in NJ. I realize the transition of workplaces can be a challenge, but take heart in our state motto: "New Jersey, it ain't that bad."

Sammy

Anonymous said...

Many great memories of Beck from last Christmas. Fondly recall the baking jag she went on last year.
She must have baked a thousand cookies as well as many
other delectable treats. Sitting here chuckling, remembering
trying to convince Beck, while she was measuring brown sugar,
that Wexford would be a great name for any child regardless
if the child was a boy or girl. I think she actually considered the name until she found out that Wexford was the name of my imaginary dog.

Anonymous said...

Sam, I never heard that motto before, but you know, it seems to fit well somehow. I've been thinking about Becky lately myself, Particularly one time I found her using the windowsill as a refrigerator when our power was cut off due to non-payment of bills. Another time she and her sister saved my ass by driving me home for the holiday when my van brokedown in a snowstorm. I agree about the not taking ourselves too seriously 100%. we're spending xmas in Arizona, and its pretty surreal seeing christmas lights adorning cactus.