Sunday, July 29, 2007

Kalifornia Here I Come


Once again the Patriot finds himself in California, except this tine his is staying in the bosom of California Wine Country, just north of Santa Barbara in San Luis Obispo. Soon after disembarking from a 10 hour plane trip, I went for a trail run through the hill country, followed by some excellent beef carpaccio (all due apologies to my vegetarian friends, but the Zinfandel cried out for raw meat), and a stroll down Main Street, followed, in turn, by a tasting at a local wine store that only sells California wines, all from the local area. Everything I tried was magnificent, but special praise is reserved for the 2005 Babcock Classic Rock Cuvee which almost made me weep it was so full of flavor. The wine is from 85% Estelle fruit. Highly recommended if you can find it. I bought a bottle, but the odds of it making its way back to Staten Island are decidedly slim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
You're only about 200 miles south of here....why not swing through town on your way back east???

Mark said...

Ah yes, only in the West is a 200 mile drive considered "close". Spazz, I will no doubt be in the Sacramento area in the next few months and will ring you then. Afraid it won't work on this trip, but thanks for the invite.
M