Thursday, April 05, 2007

More Music


So I’ve been listening to the latest Neil Young release, Live at Massey Hall 1971. Considering the technology available at the time, the live solo acoustic recording is pristine, as is Neil’s guitar playing. Massey Hall in Toronto was a brief stop on a long tour where Neil debuted a number of new songs, including Old Man and Needle and the Damage Done. The concert was held prior to the release of either of those songs on the Harvelt album. In Neil’s own words, "...I've written so many new (songs) that I can't think of anything else to do with them other than sing 'em." And sing them he does; his vocals, guitar and piano playing are almost hypnotic in intensity. The medly of Man Needs a Maid and Heart of Gold is unearthly. The between songs patter is alone almost worth the price of the Album. The CD package I ordered also came with a DVD with live footage from the concert. I haven’t watched it yet, but putting a visual to the guitar work is something I am eagerly anticipating.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This probably should have been posted in the first 'Music' post. If you want a good mix of music try http://www.pandora.com/. You can create your own radio stations and through a voting process influence the playlist. Very Web 2.0. So when you begin, there is a bit of seperating the chaffe from the wheat but the algorythm gets more accurate as you use it for a more enjoyable listening experience.

Mark said...

Neat idea. I like it when the computer decides what I like. It is much easier on my brain. If I have some time later I'll fiddle with it some more.

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a review of one of my favourite musicians here, Sir Sid Barrett.

Mark said...

Sure, stay tuned. I have both of Barrett's albums on vinyl (The Madcap Laughs and Barrett) so it might take me a little while to dust off the turntable and give 'em a listen. It will no doubt be the first time listening to them without being on some sort of psychedelic drugs. RIP Syd.