Monday, April 09, 2007

Happy Easter/Passover

In my never ending quest to understand the world’s religions I hosted a Passover Seder in my home on Saturday night. I also though that since Jack will probably be attending the JCC daycare at some point it might be a good idea to acquaint myself with some of the customs and rituals so I don’t sound like a moron when he starts asking me questions. Granted, we held it on the wrong night and there was only one Jewish person there out of five, but we used an instruction book with the prescribed rituals and I think did a passable job of it. I didn’t realize how much work goes into cooking for one of these things; by the time we finished in the kitchen it was after 10:00pm and well after midnight by the time we finished breaking matzo and eating.

What struck me about the ritual is how deeply symbolic everything is, from the food to the “four questions” to the recitation of the haggadah, or Exodous story. Jack seemed to enjoy himself, although the lateness of the proceedings threw off his bedtime and he was up most of the night reciting his own chants. Lack of sleep seemed to be the rule this week-end for both of us. I hope you all had a nice holiday, whichever one you celebrated.

No comments: