Friday, August 04, 2006

I'm Back

Sorry friends, I’ve been a lazy blogger this week and I know how much you all hang on the edge of your seats awaiting the latest installment of the ZOS. Frankly I’ve been feeling a bit under the weather this week; I’ve caught a nasty cold, in August, and I ate a Canadian bacon cheeseburger the other night that has been killing me, literally I think. Why did I order medium rare ground beef in a diner with questionable air conditioning on the hottest day of the last 50 years, you ask? I’m afraid I don’t have an answer, but boy I wish I had ordered the Turkey Club instead. Apparently the worst of the heat is over, although today’s 87 degrees is still hot enough to drain the life out of you. Becky has gone to her 20th high-school reunion in Buffalo this week-end which leaves me free to prowl about the bowels of the City, assuming my own bowels can hold out until quitting time today. (Sorry, I’m about as funny as Mel Gibson at a bar-mitzvah today, ba-dum-bump!).

Usually I see these week-ends sans-a-wife as periods of personal enrichment and relaxation but they invariably end up with me marinating in something or other and then neurotically cleaning the house. I have received several objections to my characterization of New York as a shit-hole so I’d like to clarify: It is an over-priced, over-crowded, dirty shit-hole full of self-absorbed, self-aggrandizing people for the most part oblivious to the world beyond its borders. Fortunately, it is also a wonderfully diverse colorful place where anything can happen and where I can get anything I want at any hour of the day or night. So, I guess it is a mixed bag after all.

No comments: