Monday, July 31, 2006

Paying the Piper


Got back from the picnic last night around 6pm. It was a long drive through bucolic Pennsylvania. I have been thanking the gods for the invention of air conditioning many, many times this summer and this week should be no different with temperatures expected to be near 100 degrees most days this week. I got seriously banged on NY State income taxes this year (well, for the last couple of years actually); A few minutes ago I had to hold my nose and send George Pataki an inordinately large amount of money for the privilege of residing in this shit-hole. It’s bad enough actually having to live here, never mind shelling out thousands of dollars for the privilege. I guess I wouldn’t mind if the government wasn’t so corrupt and the money was spent intelligently. I suppose that is too much to ask of any government, especially here in the epitome of dysfunctional local government. My sympathy for libertarian ideals increases in direct proportion to the amount of money the government steals from me each year. I’m no Astor, just a simple country lawyer, yet the government refused to waive the usurious penalties assessed to my late tax payment, stating that “inability to pay” is not a sufficient hardship to warrant waiving the fees. Clearly, going to law school was a financial disaster whose reverberations are still echoing through my financial life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of births and taxes, SarBox turned four today. If you really want to get your libertarian thong in a twist, visit the link below. United, we can repeal the Sixteenth Amendment!!

http://www.fairtax.org/

Mark said...

If there is anything more useless than a local tax it is a federal tax. However, someone has to look after the poor and better the government than the corporate power structure. Here is where I part company with traditional libertarians. So long as the people's money is being invested for them in corporate entities (i.e. through 401ks) there has to be some regulation. I support minimal taxes for social services and environmental controls and corporate regulatory agencis, the rest is better left to the states. the Feds clearly cannot be trusted with a dollar in the current political climate. Legalize drugs and tax them. Put a $1 a gallon tax on gas and you can eliminate the income tax.

discount scuba gear packages said...

This is a very good post. I am so glad that I had a chance to go through it.
well written!