Thursday, July 20, 2006

Foreign Brides


Lots going on today folks. Work was, again, uneventful. However, after work I retired to the Heartland Brewery down at the seaport where I was supposed to meet Becky for a spot of dinner. Well, Becky got held up at the discount store (to be fair she was buying me a shirt) and didn't show up until 6:30 or so by which time I had struck up a converation with a 50ish man who was sitting with a 20 year old Chinese woman for whom English was obviously not a primary language. He broke the ice by inquiring whether the "Grateful Red" beer I was drinking was "anything like Bass". When I answered in the affirmative, he ordered one as well as a glass of water for his Chinese friend. After a few more beers and some conversation about the best pizza in New York (Denino's on Staten Island), he confided that he had recently gone to China to take his bride, whom he met on the internet, back to the United States. Now, I've seen a lot of screwed up relationships since I've been in New York, and this one was no better or worse, except for the fact that his fiancee was licking her lips and giving me a flashy smile over his shoulder while I was holding forth on where to get the best Cannoli on Staten Island. Clearly she didn't think the best Cannoli was to be found in Edison New Jersey where he brought her after he Shanghighed her (sorry) in China. You know, I'm a sucker for love in all of its forms, especially May-Decemner relationships between 50 year old electricians and farm girls from China, but I'll bet my last renbi that this relationship lasts as long as it gets her to secure a green card. She said that New York, "reminded her of China" and I don't know whether that says more about China or the present state of New York. Anyway I wish them well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»