Friday, July 14, 2006

Am I the Victim, or the Crime?


Tonight I am going to see Ratdog, Bob Weir’s band/post Grateful Dead retirement fund. When the band gets to jamming, you drink enough beer and you close your eyes really tight it almost sounds like the Dead at the end of a long tour. Phil’s shows are a bit more psychedelic, but Bobby’s rock a little harder and Weir mixes up the set list to include songs from the latter part of the Dead’s career. There is also something more compelling about Weir doing post 1980 Jerry tunes. I head some tapes from 2002 and thought they sucked but the last two years they have found their groove. Weir, by most accounts, has been hitting the bottle a bit lately and it shows in his choice of facial hair if not his playing. I always liked Weir’s voice although he was a lazy wordsmith and at the end was writing one song every three years. The ones that came out at the end weren’t my favorites, either (Anyone remember Corrina, Corrina?)

2 comments:

irenie said...

I happen to like Corrina.

Mark said...

To each their own. I'm not running down all of Weir's later stuff but I have some clear preferences. The Victim on 7/14 was excellent, btw.